Thread: Where to find injectible sulfadimethoxine

Default Where to find injectible sulfadimethoxine

Hello everyone!

I was wondering if anyone could help me with a question regarding the use of sulfadimethoxine (40%) on a large-scale dairy. We are currently unable to find a place to purchase any brand of injectible sulfadimethoxine (we were previously using SulfaMed or Albon). All suppliers are out of stock. The bolus doesn't work, and the vet hasn't been able to give us any alternatives. We've called the manufacturer (Bimeda) and they say they stopped manufacturing it for Christmas but will begin again sometime later this month or in March, but who knows when we'll actually be able to buy it again. In the meantime, we are about to run out and will start losing cows. The ailments we are trying to treat are pneumonia, metritis, e-coli mastitis, or anything with a fever.

So my question is, does anyone know any places where we can find injectible sulfadimethoxine? Or do you know of any good alternative products we should try? I'm wondering what all the other dairies out there are doing since sulfadimethoxine has become so hard to find. I don't see any chatter about it online, but I would think others must be having the same trouble.

Thank you for any help you can offer!
    Sarah

I think my vet was complaining about the same thing a few weeks ago when she was out to treat a pnuemonina Hiefer, she had a bottle and a half on the truck and there wasn't any at the clinic. unfortunately she could have kept the dose she gave my heifer, Didn't make it. The bottle of amoxicillin(?) she mixed up and left me as a follow-up on the hiefer sure did the trick on a pair of cows that crashed with pneumonia, they're both back up and at it.

Wheels

Quote Originally Posted by Wheels View Post
    I think my vet was complaining about the same thing a few weeks ago when she was out to treat a pnuemonina Hiefer, she had a bottle and a half on the truck and there wasn't any at the clinic. unfortunately she could have kept the dose she gave my heifer, Didn't make it. The bottle of amoxicillin(?) she mixed up and left me as a follow-up on the hiefer sure did the trick on a pair of cows that crashed with pneumonia, they're both back up and at it.

Wheels
    It was ampillicillian, Not amoxi as I said previously

Wheels

Thank you very much for the info! The sulfadimethoxine manufacturer recently told us that they're not going to start producing it again until the end of May, so it looks like no one is going to be able to find it for a while. That's good to know about ampicillin, though, and I'm glad to hear it worked for your cows. I appreciate the input!