Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Related rant

Default Related rant

Why is it so tough to get a custom manure hauler in the first place? So much tougher than not too many years ago.....due to smaller farms going out of business and the land getting sucked up by bigger farms. Small farms didn't have pits, but the big farms keep getting bigger and bigger and have more manure to haul. We hired the same custom hauler every since we had our pit (20 years) but they went out of business this year (I heard due to accidents and/or complaints of manure on roadways). So we're looking for a new hauler. So it's "take a number BEHIND all our regular customers."

Further rant is that our pit is in danger of hitting the max, (because the county NRCS guys were apparently unable to calculate how much additional capacity for rainwater runoff our pit needed when they approved our leachate feed pad in '11) and these guys say "everybody's pit is running over". REALLY? I seriously doubt that. If a pit is running over, your mug would be on the internet so fast......so my question is, can the DNR mandate that a manure hauler take some of our manure out BEFORE it runs over? How does this work? Anybody ever been in this situation?

I think they mean everybody else is in the same boat you are as far as being one good rainstorm away from their pit running over, I've heard that over here too. A lot of rain and a lot of late snow runoff meant nobody had their pit size calculated properly this year. I doubt that the DNR could or would mandate to a specific hauler that they remove some from your pit to prevent overflow. In their mind its your pit, its your responsibility, not the haulers. They don't care if every hauler is busy with a late spring, if your pit is in danger of running over you need to do something about it or pay the fine. If that means you have to buy or rent a spreader of your own I'm sure they figure that somebody in Madison will figure out what to do with the additional tax the dealer has to pay next year.

I think that they will start requiring pits that hold a year's worth. Did I hear that somewhere or was I dreaming it? If this were 1993 (the 100-year-rain.......the year we built our pit because it was so wet that year, we didn't want to deal with daily haul any longer), I don't think we would get our pit emptied till August.

This spring, we just need a 4WD and a rig for irrigating. A one-day job for our old hauler. Frustrating!

Is there no way you can rent a spreader nearby just to get by for now ?

Quote Originally Posted by phishstik View Post
    Is there no way you can rent a spreader nearby just to get by for now ?
    We have a spreader. This stuff is more water than manure. We need irrigation equipment and a way to get the stuff out of the pit. We will prolly be good for another week. Every day I look at it and wonder........how much more will fit??

Thank the good Lord that the weatherpersons appear to be totally incorrect about our predicted big rainfall this week.
    Last edited by cousinit; 05-21-2013 at 07:54 PM.

And if they come pump some out, just what are they going to do with it? Can they get in your fields to spread? If it as wet here as there, good Fing luck!!!! And did you really expect to be put ahead their regular customers? Had the roles been reversed you would bitch that they took on a new customer on fix them before you! You are not the only one in this predicament.

df, the pit is in the field to be irrigated (close!) and it is fit to be spread and has been fit for over a week.

What I'm bitching about is one day we have one guy ahead of us, and three days later we have three guys ahead of us. How does this happen? This comes from our old hauler, who still has his irrigation equipment! He didn't sell the irrigation eqt, only the trucks. We thought we could work with them yet this spring, knowing that they won't be able to help us in the fall when we need trucks (basically putting off finding a permanent hauler for the future).

Today, one of the guys we never did business with said he will come today to agitate, tomorrow to pump, but there is rain again on the radar. He said he would work the Mem Day weekend (they don't all.......).

Quote Originally Posted by cousinit View Post
    df, the pit is in the field to be irrigated (close!) and it is fit to be spread and has been fit for over a week.

What I'm bitching about is one day we have one guy ahead of us, and three days later we have three guys ahead of us. How does this happen? This comes from our old hauler, who still has his irrigation equipment! He didn't sell the irrigation eqt, only the trucks. We thought we could work with them yet this spring, knowing that they won't be able to help us in the fall when we need trucks (basically putting off finding a permanent hauler for the future).

Today, one of the guys we never did business with said he will come today to agitate, tomorrow to pump, but there is rain again on the radar. He said he would work the Mem Day weekend (they don't all.......).
    You can irrigate in the rain too. I would be buying your old manure haulers equipment and do it yourself

Quote Originally Posted by CanadianCowMan View Post
    You can irrigate in the rain too. I would be buying your old manure haulers equipment and do it yourself
    Kinda greasy here to irrigate in the rain. Plus I'm not sure if it's even legal. They said it isn't....

Geez you guys are a rough crowd. Buy our old manure hauler's equipment? Probably hundreds of thousands of dollars of equipment for a 165 cow farm?

No thanks.

Custom work always goes in cycles.

Guys will be getting their own equipment after this year.

I have never been happier with my daily hauling than I am ths year.

Quote Originally Posted by whistle pig View Post
    Custom work always goes in cycles.

Guys will be getting their own equipment after this year.

I have never been happier with my daily hauling than I am ths year.
    I wish the big guys would get their own equipment. Some of them here do have their own. They tie up a custom guy for a long time. We couldn't daily haul a thing here most days. Just too wet. Hope it rains for another couple weeks and then we won't have to worry about anything any more.

Most big guys won't be getting their own manure stuff any time soon... liability is the big issue, not to mention tying up cash that could be used for something more productive.
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

Quote Originally Posted by drdiederich View Post
    Most big guys won't be getting their own manure stuff any time soon... liability is the big issue, not to mention tying up cash that could be used for something more productive.
    Dave, we picked up another half-inch. I think you got less. But did you see the big blob of rain over Lake Michigan this morning that could have gotten both of us?

Where do you think this manure hauling deal is headed, Dave? I think it's gonna become a bigger issue. What if we ever get a year here like 1993 where the fields were wet until August?

I know in my county and a couple others close by they are not approving new manure storage unless it holds 12.5 months worth of manure plus the once every 25 year rain storm free board and they are also strongly suggesting if you have 100 cows and currently daily haul and want to build a lagoon to build with 20-30% extra space for future expansion

Edit I should mention that you can still haul 365 days of the year here as long as you follow proper set backs for intakes, ditches, etc but they are really pushing for a year's storage now not 6 months anymore

Quote Originally Posted by JS_Farms View Post
    I know in my county and a couple others close by they are not approving new manure storage unless it holds 12.5 months worth of manure plus the once every 25 year rain storm free board and they are also strongly suggesting if you have 100 cows and currently daily haul and want to build a lagoon to build with 20-30% extra space for future expansion

Edit I should mention that you can still haul 365 days of the year here as long as you follow proper set backs for intakes, ditches, etc but they are really pushing for a year's storage now not 6 months anymore
    I think they will make the 12 month storage the norm nationwide someday... but not yet. I think 9 month is more likely to come first. I wish I had 12 month storage but who can justify it when you can spend that money on something so much more important than manure storage?
    DiederichFarm
    "You are only as good as your next success, not your last" Sir Jock Stirrup

dr, I don't think we are gonna have a choice in the matter.

wp, we built a pit because the cowyard is right next to a creek and where we used to pile when we couldn't haul, well........it was threatening to run into the creek (20 years ago) and the so the NRCS cost-shared the pit.

So the entire point of this thread is... Cousinit can't manage manure storage/application CHOICES and now it's nrcs', former pumper's and new pumper's problem. I didn't know it was their fault. Isn't it kind of common sense to think with a custom operator "to get in line". That's whole thing with them you don't have to purchase the equipment, spend the time, but you still don't own it. Calling ahead and getting in line early before a problem happens would then put you ahead in "the line". As for nrcs,what??? If you have been using the same storage facility previously and add to what's going in and didn't see a problem coming you must be blind.

I hope this fall its not the choppers fault there isn't enough corn.

We haul every day, no matter what.

I have a long driveway and a lot of field drives that are rocked....when we cant get in the field we sling off the road edges.....Should have excellent crops along the roads this year.

Quote Originally Posted by cpridge View Post
    So the entire point of this thread is... Cousinit can't manage manure storage/application CHOICES and now it's nrcs', former pumper's and new pumper's problem. I didn't know it was their fault. Isn't it kind of common sense to think with a custom operator "to get in line". That's whole thing with them you don't have to purchase the equipment, spend the time, but you still don't own it. Calling ahead and getting in line early before a problem happens would then put you ahead in "the line". As for nrcs,what??? If you have been using the same storage facility previously and add to what's going in and didn't see a problem coming you must be blind.

I hope this fall its not the choppers fault there isn't enough corn.
    cpridge, you missed my point entirely. We called in March to "get in line" with our current hauler. But a lot of good that does when there's still a foot of snow on the ground then. My point is, what are we, or anyone, supposed to do when the county sizes up your pit, you don't add any cows, you empty it twice a year like a good boy, and it fills up but there's no way to empty it because it's too wet? What's added to it is a lot of snow and rainwater!! Out of anyone's control! I think there's a lot of frustrated people out there but no one as bitchy as a woman to actually bring it up online because farmers don't ever wanna talk about their problems or issues. Some of the custom haulers said a lot of farmers are one big rain away from running over. Does this sound like an accident waiting to happen? Like df said, this isn't just me with this problem.

The big squeaky wheel gets the grease, and it will only get worse for those not big and squeaky enough.

Who pooped in your cereal this morning, cp?
    Last edited by cousinit; 05-22-2013 at 05:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by whistle pig View Post
    we haul every day, no matter what.

I have a long driveway and a lot of field drives that are rocked....when we cant get in the field we sling off the road edges.....should have excellent crops along the roads this year.
    what ??????